The Origins of DMC
In 1991, DMC broke away from the group and was established as an independent database marketing consultancy by Michael Collins who remains as managing consultant.
Since its inception, services have been provided to more than 150 clients in the UK, Europe and North America, split almost exactly business and consumer, in most sectors.
Michael Collins BA(Hons), DipM, MCIM, FIDM
- Business graduate with 45 years in management (over 35 years in marketing agencies and consultancies)
- Chartered Marketer with post graduate diploma and life membership of the Chartered Institute of Marketing
- Lifetime Fellow of the Institute of Data and Marketing and accredited IDM consultant & trainer
- Past member of the American DMA International Council
- Named recipient of UK & USA industry awards including first award to a UK company of the US DMA’s Gold Mailbox and the first Direct Response Innovations Award
- Internationally acknowledged consultant, lecturer, trainer and writer on database marketing and CRM
Following marketing management roles in the UK Music Industry, Lighting Industry and Car Rental & Leasing, Michael joined Systems Market Link – an acknowledged pioneer of UK database marketing in the early 1980s. Michael has been a named member of the SML team winning awards for innovative database marketing both in UK and USA.
He was a main board director of the SML Group 1988-91 and Managing Director of Database Marketing Counsel (DMC) a business unit he created within that group; 1991 he established DMC as a his own specialist independent consultancy.
Key areas of expertise
- Data-driven marketing and sales for consumer and business-to-business markets
- Approaches for data analysis, Profiling & Segmentation
- Customer relationship management
- Business process analysis & re-engineering
- Introduction of data strategy, data governance and corporate data culture
- Data quality & integrity issues
- Data protection
- Cross-functional and multi-national data strategies, structure and application
- An accomplished trainer and teacher, basing teaching on experience and acquired skills
Michael is an internationally acknowledged consultant, trainer and writer on database marketing and CRM. He has delivered his seminars, masterclasses and workshops for marketing professionals in person across Europe, North America and the Far East and on-line in public events and as bespoke training.
He is author of two books
- The Marketing Database (an e-book)
- The Membership Database (a specially commissioned version in paperback published by the Association of Association Executives in 2017)
and is author of Using Marketing Databases chapter in e-Business Fundamentals, published by Routledge, New York & London, 2003
and many business journal and website articles on the use of data in marketing and sales.
He was a member of the Brunel University School of Information Technology’s inaugural Knowledge Management Centre (2001-2).
He has since developed and delivered both undergraduate and post-graduate courses in CRM, database marketing and digital business in a number of UK University Business schools, including Brunel University, University of Westminster, Middlesex University and University of Bedfordshire.
Michael provides smarter strategies to deliver more members, more customers and more profit to a membership organisation through expert actionable consultancy and hands-on analysis, to drive one-to-one marketing, helping organisations and professional bodies of all sizes to optimise their marketing communications and member relationships. Whatever the size of the operation, the business hold details of transactions and tremendous benefits can be derived from analysing this information, uncovering hidden nuggets of business opportunity enabling membership organisations to grow and profit by establishing relationships where members feel valued and become increasingly loyal:
- Advice and direction on data analytics to deliver member insight
- Consultancy for introducing or maximising the benefits of CRM
- Training and skills transfer in the use of data and direct marketing
- Introduction of data strategy, data culture and governance throughout the organisation
Following marketing management roles in the UK Music Industry, Lighting Industry and Car Rental & Leasing Michael joined Systems Market Link – the acknowledged pioneer of UK database marketing. Michael has been a named member of the SML team winning awards for innovative database marketing both in UK and USA. He was a main board director of the SML Group 1988-91 and Managing Director of DMC within that group; thereafter he established DMC as a specialist independent database-marketing consultancy.
- Data-driven marketing and sales
- Knowledge management
- Data strategies
- Customer Relationship Management
- Customer relationship management
- Profiling & segmentation
- Business process analysis & engineering
- Data quality & integrity issues
- Data protection
- Consumer and business-to-business markets
- Extensive experience in cross-functional and multi-national data strategies, structure and application
An internationally acknowledged consultant, trainer and writer on database marketing. He has delivered his seminars across Europe, North America and the Far East and has created undergraduate courses and lectured at Brunel University, London, University of Westminster and Middlesex University. He is author of ‘Using Marketing Databases’ in ‘eBusiness Fundamentals’ (Routledge, New York and London, 2003) and many business journal articles on the use of data in marketing and sales.
What clients and peers have said about Michael…
From an intimal idea that we needed CRM because we had lots of customer data spread around the organisation Michael educated us into what we really needed to be thinking about. He guided us expertly through the process of defining our needs and selecting the appropriate business system solution. We will continue to draw on his excellent work as we move our change programme…..
previously Director at AFC Wimbledon
Anyone considering any kind of CRM or marketing automation project should consider whether they can use Michael’s services. Spending time with him on a client project, and in discussions at events where we have met, I have always been left hugely impressed by his forensic approach to the way in which companies analyse, categorise and manage their customers and leads.
Managing Director at BroadView
Michael is a great guy who is super to work with. He is one of the top international experts in the field. Not only does he really know his stuff but he is excellent at putting it across as well. I hope to work with Michael again soon.
Professor of Marketing and Retailing at Middlesex University (previously University of Lincoln & Brunel University)
I’ve worked with Michael off and on since the 1990s. He’s a rare individual, who comfortably straddles high-end consulting, training and thought leadership. In a world of Johnny-come-latelies, Michael brings decades of experience to topics such as CRM, data-mining and business intelligence. If you’re after practical insight backed up by intellectual rigour, I can heartily recommend him.
Dr Paul Jackson
Lecturer, researcher, trainer, consultant and Internet business owner
I worked with Michael on the preparation and presentation of a brief to improve the donor response for a charity.
I was impressed with Michael’s incisive grip of the brief and his creative approach, especially looking at farming response from subgroups.
I have no hesitation in recommending Michael.
Marketing & Print Advisor
Michael has a unique understanding of where Marketing meets Technology – a balance he maintains to the satisfaction of business and It management. I have no hesitation in recommending him to any business wishing to improve their customer touch points.
In my experience Michael is of a very rare breed: he is an established expert in his fields and he is able to use that knowledge to work with people to drive real life outcomes.
In our case that has been increased sales over a number of business units and sales forces.
He has a great understanding of how to help people get the best out of systems and data without being over complicated. A gem.
David Duncan previously CTO at Wolters Kluwer
Michael has a deep understanding of taking a customer’s marketing requirements and applying their data appropriately, in order to ensure the best possible value is delivered. He is extremely knowledgeable of different sectors and business cultures and how to best adapt them for the customers’ benefit.
Michael worked as part of the Project Team to re-engineer processes within the CMP Information Directories/Information Services Division when I was a Project Manager. The enormous wealth of experience and understanding that Michael has of both process and data brought invaluable results to this initiative. He quickly gained my respect and the internal clients respect with his thorough work. I thoroughly enjoyed working with Michael and have no hesitation in recommending him.
previously Project Manager at UBM
I have worked with Michael and can endorse his strategic and lateral thinking as well as his ability to execute. Our company will work with Michael in future again.
CEO Mochron Investments & President Africa Initiative
Michael is a well experienced and very informed strategist. Michael has incredbile attention to detail and I highly recommend him for his expertise in direct marketing and CRM.
Founder, sole owner and MD of Caspian
I have worked with Michael for more than 25 years and he is one of the most accomplished marketers I know. Michael excels in two primary areas:
1. All aspects of database-management, -manipulation and –marketing, including CRM
2. Strategic and tactical marketing, and some of his award winning ‘solutions’ have been suitably recognized by not only his clients, but also his peers.
Chris Richards, previously MD at RSCG Direct Worldwide